Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship for College and University Students
Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship Online Form : The scholarship implemented by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), opened on the National Scholarship Portal, scholarships.gov.in, for the Academic Year 2019-20. Central Sector Scholarship Scheme for College and University Students is a centrally-funded merit-cum-means scholarship initiated by the Department of Higher Education of MHRD. Started with the objective to financially assist students of economically underprivileged families, Central Sector Scholarship scheme is disbursed among a total of 82,000 graduate/postgraduate students every year. This scholarship is given in equal proportion to boys and girls, i.e., 41,000 of the total number of scholarships are reserved for boys and the other 41,000 are for girl candidates. The selected students receive an annual scholarship amount of up to INR 20,000 so that they could meet their day-to-day expenses while pursuing higher studies.
A detailed description of the Central Sector Scholarship scheme can be found below. Complete details regarding scholarship objective, key dates, eligibility conditions, awards and application process are highlighted in this article. Find a brief account of these details in the table given below.
Government of India
Ministry of Human Resource Development Department of Higher Education (Scholarship Bureau)
CENTRAL SECTOR SCHEME OF SCHOLARSHIP FOR COLLEGE AND
Department of Higher Education Scholarship Bureau
(National Scholarship Division)
GUIDELINES FOR THE CENTRAL SECTOR SCHEME OF SCHOLARSHIP FOR COLLEGE AND UNIVERSITY STUDENTS
- OBJECTIVE: –
To provide financial assistance to meritorious students from low income families to meet a part of their day-to-day expenses while pursuing higher studies.
2. SCOPE: –
The scholarships are awarded on the basis of the results of Senior Secondary Examination. 82000 fresh scholarships per annum [41000 for boys and 41000 for girls] are awarded for pursuing graduate / postgraduate studies in colleges and universities and for professional courses, such as Medical, Engineering etc.
3. ALLOCATION OF SCHOLARSHIPS: –
The total number of scholarships are divided amongst the State Education Boards based on the State‟s population in the age group of 18-25 years, after segregating share of CBSE and ICSE on the basis of number of students passing out from various Boards in the country. 50 % of the scholarship is earmarked for girls. The number of scholarships allotted to a State Education Board is distributed amongst pass outs of the Science, Commerce and Humanities streams in the ratio of 3:2:1. In case of shortfall in the number of applications, the scholarship slots could be inter-changed.
Students who are above 80th percentile of successful candidates in the relevant stream from the respective Board of Examination in Class XII of 10+2 pattern or equivalent and pursuing regular courses (not correspondence or distance mode) in Colleges/Institutions recognized by All India Council of Technical Education, UGC Act, 1956, Medical Council of India, Dental Council of India and respective regulatory authorities and not availing benefit of any other scholarship scheme including State run scholarship schemes/Fee waiver and
reimbursement scheme are eligible under the scheme. Students pursuing Diploma courses are not eligible under the scheme.
Students belonging to reserved categories/weaker sections /minorities are eligible on the basis of merit, subject to Central Reservation Policy and internal earmarking. Reservations for the various categories are as follows : Scheduled Castes (SCs) 15 % , Scheduled Tribes ( STs) 7.5 %, Other Backward Classes(OBCs) 27 % and horizontally 5 % for Physically Handicapped / Persons(s) with Disabilities (PwDs) in all the categories.
6. ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE SCHEME AND SELECTION PROCEDURE
- National Scholarship Portal (NSP) scholarships.gov.in will be opened for online application in the month of June-July every year.
- Class XII pass out students of the current Academic Year, who are above 80th percentile of the respective State Education Boards (SEBs) are eligible under the scheme and can apply on National Scholarship Portal (scholarship.gov.in), before the cut-off date. Physical application would not be accepted.
- The online applications would be verified at two levels:
- By the Institute where the student is
- By the respective State Education
- Applicant is required to submit requisite documents, such as [ Class 12th mark sheet, Income Certificate] to the
- Application which is not verified either by the institute or by the concerned State Education Board or by both will be treated as „Invalid‟.
- Merit list as per the State allocated quota would be generated from the verified applications.
7. RATE OF SCHOLARSHIPS:
The rate of scholarship is Rs.10000/- per annum at Graduation level for first three years of College and University courses and Rs.20000/- per annum at Post- Graduation level. Students pursuing professional courses, in case, where the duration of course is five (5) years/Integrated course would get Rs.20000/- per annum in the 4th and 5th year. However, students pursuing technical courses such as B.Tech., B.Engg would get scholarship up to graduation level.
8. PARENTAL INCOME CEILING:
The parental/family income ceiling is Rs. 8 lakh per annum for all categories under the scheme and would be applicable from the Academic Session 2018-19. Income certificate would be required for the fresh applicants only.
9. DURATION OF SCHOLARSHIPS AND ITS RENEWAL
A student will be eligible for the scholarship for a total duration not exceeding 5 years. A scholarship under the scheme is renewable on year to year basis up to Post Graduate level in the same stream (except for the students pursuing technical courses leading to degree at graduation level).
If a scholar is unable to appear in the annual examination owing to illness and or on account of any unforeseen event, the award may be renewed for the next academic year on submission of medical certificate and other proof to satisfy the Head of the Institution who will certify that the student would have passed with required percentage of marks or equivalent Grade Point Average, had he/she appeared in the examination.
A scholar would be allowed to continue/renew his/her scholarship if, he/she changes the course of study to a stream not offered by his school Board in Class XII (e.g. Law, Fashion Technology, etc.). Students changing their college/institute of study would be allowed to continue/renew the scholarship provided the course of study and the institution is recognized.
- For receiving scholarship benefit under Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship for College and University Students, an individual shall furnish proof of possession of Aadhaar or undergo Aadhaar authentication. Till the time Aadhaar is assigned to the individual, following alternative identifiers can be used:-
- Aadhaar Enrolment ID slip
- Application made for Aadhaar enrolment
- Voter identity card
- Permanent Account Number
- Driving License
- Certificate of identity having photo of such member issued by a Gazetted Officer or a Tehsildar on an official letter head; (viii) Identity Card issued by the college or institute or
- Any other document with photo specified by the State Government:
Further, the students are required to have the bank accounts opened, especially, in their name for availing the benefits under the scheme. The scholarship will be disbursed directly into the bank accounts of the beneficiaries through Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) mode. The student can track their payment status from the template “ Know Your Payment” in the Public Financial Management System (PFMS) portal [ https://pfms.nic.in/Users/LoginDetails/Login.aspx] either by indicating Aadhaar number or bank account number.
11. PROCEDURE FOR RENEWAL OF SCHOLARSHIP
For students of Academic Year 2008-09 to 2014-15 (up to 3rd renewal)
Students who have passed Class XII in the Academic Year 2008-09 to 2014-15 (up to 3rd renewal) are required to obtain the renewal application blank form from the respective State Education Boards and submit the same duly certified from their respective institutions which is required to certify:
- that the student has secured 60 % or more marks in the previous exam,
- that the student has 75 % attendance and
- that the student is not involved in any ragging
For students of Academic Year 2014-15 (4th renewal) (Offline)
Students who have passed Class XII and have received fresh/renewal scholarship through the State Education Board concerned, are required to obtain the renewal application blank form from the respective State Education Boards and submit the same duly certified from their respective institutions which is required to certify:
- that the student has secured 50 % or more marks in the previous exam
- that the student has 75 % attendance and
(c ) that the student is not involved in any ragging activities.
For students of Academic Year 2015 and onwards through National Scholarship Portal
Students who have passed Class XII and have received fresh/renewal scholarship through the National Scholarship Portal (NSP) must apply online in the National Scholarship Portal (www.scholarships.gov.in) for the renewal scholarships. The 50 % and above criteria will be applicable prospectively i.e. for renewals becoming due from 2018-19 onwards.
Renewal applications sent directly to the Ministry of Human Resource Development shall not be accepted.
In case of any grievances/complaint regarding the above scheme the same may be registered to the following link http://pgportal.gov.in/grievancenew.aspx
National Scholarship Division,
Ministry of Human Resource Development, Department of Higher Education, West Block 1, 2nd Floor, Wing 6, Room No. 6,
- K. Puram, Sector 1, New Delhi 110066. Tele: 011-26172917, 26172491, 26165238
|Number of Scholarships allocated to States/UTs under the Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship for University and College Students|
|S.No.||State||Quota (per year)|
|3||Andhra Pradesh *||3527|
|13||Jammu & Kashmir||768|
|33||Andaman & Nicobar||31|
|35||Dadra & Nagar Haveli||21|
|36||Daman & Diu||19|
|* Note: – Bifurcation of Quota of unified State of Andhra Pradesh (6097) divided between the new State ofTelangana (2570) and Andhra Pradesh (3527) vide letter no. 1-42/2014-NS-I (AP) dated 17.09.2014.|
Highlights of Central Sector scholarship
|1.||Awards||Up to INR 20,000 per annum till the completion of course|
|2.||Eligibility||Candidates who are above the 80th percentile of successful students who have passed class 12Pursuing regular UG/PG courseAnnual family income less than INR 8 Lakh|
|4.||Application process||Application through official NSP|
* The application period mentioned above is tentative and may change as per the discretion of the scholarship provider.
Now, read about the Central Sector Scholarship scheme in complete detail as mentioned below.
Central Sector Scholarship – Objective
Offered to meritorious students, the Central Sector Scholarship Scheme for College and University Students aims to provide monetary support to those students who come from low-income group families. The fund provided under this scholarship helps the candidate to meet his/her daily expenses incurred while pursuing graduate or postgraduate studies in general or professional courses.
Central Sector Scholarship – Awards
Central Sector Scholarship awards a total of 82,000 scholarships every year, among which 50% of the scholarship is earmarked for girl candidates and the remaining 50% is for boy candidates. All these scholarships are distributed to the State Education Boards on the basis of the population of 18-25 years age group in the respective State, after segregating the share of CBSE and ICSE. Furthermore, the scholarships allotted to State Education Boards are divided in the ratio of 3:2:1 among the passouts of Science, Commerce and Arts, respectively. The selected students receive the scholarship amount directly into their account through Direct Benefits Transfer (DBT) mode. Given below is the detail of rewards given under Central Sector Scholarship scheme.
Award Money of Central Sector Scholarship Scheme
|S.No.||Level of Study||Scholarship Amount|
|1.||Graduation||An annual scholarship amount of INR 10,000 for 1st three years of graduation.In case of 5-year integrated course (professional studies), INR 20,000 per year is given to students during 4th and 5th year of study.If the students are pursuing technical courses such as B.Tech., B.Engg., the scholarship is given up to graduation level.|
|2.||Post graduation||An amount of INR 20,000 is provided to students studying at postgraduation level.|
Central Sector Scholarship – Key Dates
This merit-cum-means scholarship is generally announced every year in the month of July and its deadline falls in the last week of October. The application period varies from year-to-year and is subject to change as per the discretion of the scholarship provider. In the year 2019, the last date to apply for the scholarship is 31 October 2019.
Central Sector Scholarship – Eligibility Criteria
Central Sector Scholarship scheme is meant for those bright students who belong to economically disadvantaged families. While applying for this merit-cum-means scholarship, the applicants must make sure that they are above the 80th percentile of successful students in the relevant stream in class 12 board exam. Find below more details about the eligibility criteria needed to apply for the scholarship.
- The applicants must be in the top 20th percentile merit list of class 12 result of concerned boards (SEB/CBSE/ICSE).
- The candidates must be pursuing regular courses of graduation/postgraduation/professional studies from colleges/universities recognised by AICTE, UGC, MCI, DCI or other regulatory bodies.
- The candidates belonging to reserved categories of SC, ST, OBC and PWD will get a reservation of 15%, 7.5%, 27% and 5%, respectively.
- The candidates’ annual family income must not exceed INR 8 Lakh.
- The applicants must not be availing any other scholarship benefits.
- Also, those students who are pursuing Diploma courses are not eligible for this merit-cum-means scholarship.
Central Sector Scholarship – Application Process
To make the application process easy and accessible for applicants, MHRD allows students to fill the scholarship application form online through the government scholarship portal, the National Scholarship Portal (NSP). Follow the steps given below to fill the Central Sector Scholarship application form.
- Applicants applying on NSP for the first time need to register with NSP as a new user.
- Fill in all the required information and click on ‘Register’ to get registered. A student application ID and password is generated on the registered mobile number.
- The applicants need to log in to NSP using the newly generated ID and password. An OTP is sent on the registered mobile number using which the candidate must change his/her password.
- Once the password is changed, the candidates are directed to Applicant’s Dashboard Page, where applicants need to click on ‘Application form’ to start the application process.
- The applicants need to provide all the necessary details such as registration details, academic details, basic details, contact details and scheme details.
- All the required documents in support of identity and academic eligibility must be uploaded by the applicants.
- Now, the filled-in application form must be saved as a draft so that the applicant can check every detail once again to make sure they are correct.
- Finally, the candidate must click on ‘Submit’ button to submit the completed scholarship application form.
Note: These online scholarships submitted by the candidates are verified at two levels – one at institute level where the candidate is studying and the other at education board level through which the candidate passed his/her class 12 exam.
Central Sector Scholarship – Key Documents
There are a few necessary documents that the applicants must keep with them ready at the time of application process. The list of the required documents for the Central Sector Scholarship Scheme for College and University Students is given below.
- Bank passbook issued in the name of the applicant for filling bank details
- Aadhaar card number (n case Aadhaar is not yet assigned, alternatives like Aadhaar enrolment ID slip, voter ID card, driving license, PAN, passport etc. can be used
- Income certificate issued by the competent authority
- Caste certificate if applicable
- Disability certificate if applicable
- Class 12th mark sheet
Central Sector Scholarship – Renewal Policy
The beneficiaries of this merit-cum-means scholarship are eligible to receive the scholarship for a maximum period of 5 years which includes both graduation and post graduation period. The candidates must be pursuing graduation and post graduation in the same stream. Moreover, the candidates must fulfil the prescribed eligibility criteria in order to get the scholarship renewed.
- The students must have secured at least 50% or more marks in the previous exam.
- The students must maintain the attendance of at least 75%.
- The candidates must not be involved in any ragging activities.
- The candidates can apply on NSP for renewal of this merit-cum-means scholarship.
Central Sector Scholarship – Contact Details
In case of any query regarding the Central Sector Scholarship scheme, the applicants can contact:
What is Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship for College and University Students 2019-20?
Who is offering this scholarship ?
Who can apply for this scholarship ?
To be eligible, an applicant must:
- Be above the 80th percentile of successful candidates in the relevant stream in class 12 or equivalent of respective State examination boards.
- Be pursuing a regular course such as medical and engineering in a college/institution recognised by the AICTE, Dental Council of India (DCI), Medical Council of India (MCI) and other respective regulatory authorities.
- Have annual family income not more than INR 8 Lakhs from all sources.
- Not be in receipt of any other scholarship.
Note: Students pursuing degree courses through distance mode or correspondence and diploma courses are not eligible.
What are the benefits ?
The students selected for this scholarship are provided financial support which varies depending on their education level.
- At graduation level, a scholarship of INR 10,000 per annum will be provided for the first three years.
- At the post-graduation level, an amount of INR 20,000 per annum will be provided.
- For 5-year professional courses, INR 20,000 per annum will be provided in the 4th and 5th year.
Note: In the case of technical courses such as B.Tech and B.E., the selected candidates will receive a scholarship for up to graduation level.
How can you apply ?
Step 1: Visit the homepage of the National Scholarship Portal and click on ‘New Registration‘.
Step 2: Read the guidelines carefully, select the undertaking and ‘Continue‘.
Step 3: Select the state of domicile, scholarship category, scheme type (scholarship scheme), gender, write the applicant’s name, date of birth, mobile number, email ID.
Step 4: Provide the bank details (Bank name, IFSC Code, Account Number)
Step 5: Select Aadhaar or Bank Account Number as identification detail and click on the ‘Register’ button.
Step 6: The mobile number will be verified and an OTP will be generated.
Step 7: Now, log in using OTP and fill the form.
Step 8: An application ID and password will be generated. Use that for future references.
Note: All the applicants are advised to fill the form correctly, no changes can be made once submitted. The applicants are also advised to fill only one application as multiple applications will lead to the cancellation of the form.
What are the documents required for the Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship for College and University Students 2019-20?
- Aadhaar Card (in case Aadhaar is not yet assigned, alternatives like Aadhaar enrolment ID slip, application made for Aadhaar enrolment, voter ID card, driving license, PAN, passport, etc., can be used)
- Class 12th mark sheet
- Income certificate
What are the selection criteria ?
Students will be selected based on the merit list as per the state allocated quota. The applications of the candidates will be verified at two distinctive levels, namely-
- By the Institute where the student is studying
- By the respective State Education Board
What are the important dates ?
Scholarship closing date: 31 October 2019
Last date for defective verification: 15 November 2019
Last date for institute verification: 15 November 2019
Terms and Conditions
- Students belonging to reserved categories/minorities/weaker sections are eligible for reservation on the basis of merit, subject to Central Reservation Policy and internal earmarking.
- The applications of students which are not verified either by the Institute or by the concerned State Education Board or by both will be treated as ‘Invalid’.
- The total duration of the scholarship will not be exceeding 5 years.
- 50% of the total scholarships are reserved for girl candidates.
- A total of 82,000 fresh scholarships are disbursed every year amongst the pass outs of Science, Commerce and Humanities streams in the ratio of 3:2:1.
To know more, click here.