Gujarat Caste Certificate
The government grants caste certificate to certify officially that a person belongs to a specific caste or community under the constitution of India. Caste certificate (SC/ST) is issued by the respective State Governments to its residents belonging to scheduled caste, scheduled tribe and other backward community. Therefore, it is recommended that people belonging to such caste obtain a caste certificate to take benefit of reservations provided by the government. In this article, we look at the application procedure for obtaining Gujarat caste certificate in detail.
Purpose of the Certificate
Any individual reserved under the Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Tribe category can apply for a caste certificate and should obtain the caste certificate for various purposes. Some of the purposes are mentioned below.
- Caste certificate is important for students to avail seats under reserved quotas in certain educational institutions and Government entities.
- A caste certificate is required for fee concessions in schools / colleges.
- To benefit from scholarships provided by the Government.
- Government requires a caste certificate to disburse subsidies for special reservations.
- In terms of employment, caste certificate is obligatory for job seekers, who apply for Government jobs as appointments under reserved quotas.
- To apply for schemes implemented by the Government exclusively for the underprivileged, caste certificate is necessary.
- Caste Certificate must be provided to reserve seats in the Legislatures.
The eligibility criteria for a person to obtain caste certificate from Gujarat are mentioned below.
- The applicant should be a citizen of India.
- Applicant should be a permanent resident of the state for a minimum period of five years to obtain a caste certificate in Gujarat.
- The name of the applicant should be in the SC/ST, SEBC and OBC list issued by the Government of Gujarat to apply for caste certificate.
The following documents are required to apply for the caste certificate in Gujarat. The mentioned documents must be attached along with the application form when applying offline while online application requires scanned copies of the same.
- Proof of residence – Ration Card, True Copy of Election Card
- Proof of Identity – Driving License, PAN Card
- Proof of Caste
- Certificate of caste of family member with Pedhinamu (Family Tree issued by Talati)
- True copy of certificate of caste given by sarpanch/patvari(Talati) cum mantri of the Gram Panchayat
- True copy of certificate of caste given by head of Nagarpalika/Chief Officer
- Relationship Proof – affidavit of the person
- Passport size photograph.
For an urban area, concerned Zonal officer is responsible for the issuance and verification of Scheduled Caste / Scheduled Tribe certificate in the state of Gujarat.
For a rural area, concerned Mamlatdar (Head of Taluka) is responsible for the issuance and verification of Scheduled Caste / Scheduled Tribe certificate in the state of Gujarat.
The Government of Gujarat has extended the validity of caste certificate issued to its citizens for three years.
The fee to obtain a caste certificate in Gujarat is Rs.20.
The concerned authority will issue the caste certificate within 1 day from the submission of application.
The person applying for the caste certificate can apply in either online or offline mode.
Offline Application Process
Step 1: The applicant should visit the Mamlatdar/Talati or Jan Seva Kendra office and collect the application form.
Online Application Process
Step 1: To apply online, visit the official website of Digital Gujarat of the Gujarat State Government. Click Login on the top of the Home page of the website.
New Citizen Registration
Step 2: To access online services offered by the Gujarat government, the citizen must be a registered user.
If person is not registered on the digital portal of Gujarat, he/ she need to register himself/ herself on the digital portal. This can be done by clicking on the ‘Click for new registration’ under New user on the website.
Step 3: The user registration page appears. Fill out the necessary details and click submit.
Step 4: Then the citizen can login using any of the following that are registered.
- E-mail id
- Aadhar number
- Mobile number
Enter the registered password and captcha and click Login.
Step 5: Once logging in, select the revenue option that is present on the website and select SC/ST caste certificate option.
Step 6: Then enter the Aadhar card number and select the language in which you want the form to appear. As per the language selected (English or Gujarati), respective language keyboard should be used for filling an application form. Online portal has the provision on downloading the Gujarati Keyboard.
Fill Application Form
Step 7: Applicant should furnish the following information.
Applicant information (Basic applicant details, Occupational Details, Family details)
Service details (caste details)
Step 8: Upload the scanned copies of the document and click submit.
Step 9: After successful submission of your application, you can take the print of the application form and proceed further with the online payment.
Step 10: There are two payment options:
1) Using E-Wallet
2) Using Gateway
Step 11: Select the payment option and click on the “Send OTP” Button in order to make payment. A onetime password will be sent to your mobile.
Step 12: After entering the one time password click on the “Confirm” Button to complete the payment process.
Note: All fields marked with *(star) are mandatory fields in Online Application.
In case of any wrong/misleading information provided in application shall lead to rejection of the application by Department Authorities.
If your application is returned for change or to fill incomplete details, submit it within 37 days of return. On failing to submit within 37 days, application will be rejected. Application fee paid will not be refunded.
Citizen does not need to visit the nearest JSK/ATVT center to verify the profile/document after successfully submitting the application. The citizen will be intimated through a SMS on the status of his/her application